Ever had a question regarding a Civil War philatelic item and wish you knew someone who could give you an answer? Well, the CWPS recognizes this need and has established a “Mentor Program” whereby you can call or email a very knowledgeable Confederate philatelist and fellow CWPS member with your question.
Here is the latest list of CWPS Mentors. All are very knowledgeable collectors and some have special areas of expertise which are so noted. They’ll be glad to help with questions and research.
- Richard Corwin, CA, 858-454-7327, RACorwin@aol.com (Trans-Mississippi and blockade covers)
- Thomas Jackson, MD, 301-654-7121, firstname.lastname@example.org (Post Office Department official and semi-official covers)
- Patricia Kaufmann, DE, 302-422-2656, email@example.com
- John Kimbrough, TX, 817-249-2447, JLKCSA@aol.com
- Jim Monroe, SC, 843-469-9878, firstname.lastname@example.org (Naval and Robert E. Lee field covers)
- Roger Oswald, WI, 920-682-6793, email@example.com (handstamped paid, railroad, and blockade covers)
- Peter Powell, VA, 804-285-0055, Ebppwwp@aol.com (missent, forwarded, advertised, provisional and Richmond covers)
Contact any of these long-time Civil War philatelists with your questions. They all have volunteered to help CWPS members so take advantage of this new program. Please remember that their opinions/answers are their own and not an official response of the CWPS.
Any authentication issue should be submitted to the Civil War Philatelic Authentication Service for formal expert review.